Do you need to get away, get outdoors, and spend time with colleagues? Grace Presbytery will underwrite ⅔ of the cost for six new opportunities to gather at Gilmont.
You are invited to consider FORMING your own ministry cohort or ATTENDING a Grace Presbytery cohort at Camp Gilmont in East Texas.
The Congregational Support Committee of Grace Presbytery is offering:
3 Self-Organized cohorts that can apply for grant funding to get started
2 cohorts on specific topics of interest:
- Inclusion of people in the LGBTQIA+ community :: Making Space for Belonging
- Gatherings with Creation Care Leaders :: Creation Care & Connection to the Land
1 cohort/retreat for Ministry Leaders the week after the first Sunday of Easter :: Resurrection Retreat
Who is eligible to form a cohort or attend a topical cohort or the ministry leader retreat?
- Participants are to be ministry leaders within Grace Presbytery, including but not limited to (paid and volunteer) pastors, educators, youth directors, commissioned lay pastors, chaplains, etc.
- Cohorts are to be no less than 8 and no more than 15.
What is the commitment for those forming their own cohorts?
Each member should be willing and able to commit to:
- participate fully in the group for a two-year period, including entering into covenants, agreements or other promises made by the group;
- set individual intentions for their own heart, soul, mind, and strength; and
- share those intentions with the other members of the group, as agreed.
What’s expected of those forming their own cohorts?
- One person serves as the contact person. Each group will determine how needs for leadership, facilitation, reporting, logistics and other matters will be met.
- Cohort groups commit to meeting together at Gilmont twice during the two year period. Each group will determine the frequency, duration and setting of additional meetings between retreats.
- Each cohort must:
- Fill out a survey and reflection for Grace Presbytery after each retreat
- Submit a final report a month after their second retreat
- Applicants are welcome to consult with the Congregational Support Committee through this EMAIL as they are preparing proposals.
How are the funds distributed?
- First Year, Grace Presbytery will pay up to $200 per person and up to $2,000 for leadership for the retreat.
- Participant cost is $100 deposit for single lodge room
- Participant cost is $75 deposit for double occupancy lodge room
- Participant cost is $50 deposit for for cabin
- Second Year, Grace Presbytery will pay up to $100 per person and up to $1,500 for leadership for the retreat.
- Participant cost is $200 deposit for single lodge room
- Participant cost is $150 deposit for double occupancy lodge room
- Participant cost is $100 deposit for for cabin
- Participants will register at Gilmont, who will invoice Grace Presbytery for the subsidy.
Application Deadline: June 30, 2023
Awards Announced: July 15, 2023
Dates Available in 2023
August 14-18 & August 21-25
October 9-13 & November 27-December 1
Spring 2024 dates will be made available soon.
Why subsidize cohorts to gather?
- We want to support ministry leaders within Grace Presbytery.
- Vital leadership depends on life-long learning and transformation which happens by being in community over time.
- Ministry leaders need communities of trusted peers who know and understand the calling because ministry can be lonely and isolating.
- Because it’s FUN!
Why gather at Gilmont?
- Gilmont is a validated ministry of Grace Presbytery and we want to offer this rich resource to the ministry leaders within the presbytery.
- Our culture is nature deficient and Gilmont offers opportunities for people to connect with their creator in the midst of God’s glorious creation in the piney woods of East Texas.
- Gilmont is an intentionally inclusive environment that provides comfortable accommodations at a very reasonable price.
- Gilmont is within the bounds of Grace Presbytery, but far enough away from where people live and work that they can unplug and get grounded at Gilmont.
What’s the Selection Process?
Each application will be reviewed by a panel from the Congregational Support Committee of Grace Presbytery.
Up to three awards of up to $5,000 will be made in 2023.
Potential Leaders for your First Gathering
We know that it might be difficult to book a keynote speaker/leader for your first gathering, so we are happy to provide a list of more local potential speakers/leaders.
Would you rather join an established group?
Consider joining one of the Topical Cohorts (listed above) or the Ministry Leader Retreat (Resurrection Retreat, also listed above).