Job Listing: Director of Family Ministries – Westminster Presbyterian Church of Dallas
Westminster Presbyterian Church of Dallas seeks part-time, experienced Director of Family Ministries. The individual will work 20 hours per week, which includes Sundays 8:30 am – 12:30 pm, directing ministry for children (birth to grade 6) and their families.
To serve the church by developing, leading, and supporting programs that contribute to the wellbeing of children and families, working within the spirit of the WPC’s vision statement.
The Director of Family Ministries shall be directly accountable to the Pastor, who will review the performance in accordance with procedures established by the WPC Personnel Committee.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director of Family Ministries will work with the Pastor, other staff, and the Christian Education Committee to perform the following duties:
- Direct ministry for children (birth to grade 6) and their families. Place a high priority on assimilating new children and families, increasing participation, and developing lay leadership.
- When needed, direct ministry (Sunday School and confirmation) for youth (grade 7 to 12).
- Oversee the development of Sunday School curricula that fits WPC’s programs, is theologically sound and developmentally appropriate.
- Recruit and train lay leadership for Sunday School and other Family Ministry programs.
- Plan and implement Family Ministry events.
- Manage Family Ministry budget and communications
- Maintain office hours in consultation with the Pastor. Attend and participate in all required meetings.
- Oversee WPC childcare, including the supervision of staff.
- Implement and maintain WPC’s child protection policy.
- Support pastor’s work on increasing children’s participation in worship.
- Coordinate with other staff concerning the ways all ministries affect the lives of children and families, serving as an advocate for children.
- Execute other requests made by the Pastor.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Communication/Hospitality: Communicates effectively and professionally (both verbally andwritten) with members, guests, and staff. Generates a sense of hospitality. Communicates a sense of availability, warmth, openness and approachability.
- Interpersonal Skills: Establishes good working relationships. Works well with people at all levels. Considers the impact of his/her actions on others. Uses diplomacy and tact. Is approachable.
- Mission Ownership: Demonstrates understanding and full support of the mission, vision, values and beliefs of the congregation.
- Leadership Development/Volunteer Management: Encourages others to discover their giftedness and engage their skills in service. Thinks strategically about need for a next generation of leaders and works to build the leadership base. Provides direction, feedback, and motivation to volunteers throughout their service to Family Ministry.
- Spiritual Formation/Discipleship: Demonstrates an understanding of spiritual formation/discipleship. Creates learning environments that promote deepening spirituality and discipleship.
- Time Management: Able and willing to focus time on tasks that contribute to organizational goals. Uses time effectively and efficiently. Concentrates efforts on the most important priorities. Appropriately balance priorities.
- Technical Proficiency: Microsoft Office Suite of software.
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferred)
Please see full position description at www.wpcd.org/employment. Send your email cover letter and resume to resume firstname.lastname@example.org.
8:30 – 12:30 pm Sundays; 16 additional hours at WPC Sunday – Thursday (to be scheduled in consultation with the Pastor; some must be during the normal office hours). Position will require some evening meetings and occasional Fridays and/or Saturdays. The position description is not intended to describe in detail the multitude of tasks that are assigned, but rather to give the individual a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of this position. Essential functions will change as the nature of ministry demands change.